October 31, 2012

London 2012

Well it's certainly taken me a while to write this blog and with one simple reason, since returning home I've wanted to re-focus, have surgery and move on from the disappointment of an injury plagued Paralympic's. 

After tearing the meniscus in my knee in training in the lead up to the games it was always going to be a difficult campaign but unfortunately my knee deterioated severely during the travel and left me on crutches for the month leading into the games, hardly an ideal preparation! 

London as expected was an incredible Paralympic's, a dazzling Opening Ceremony, sold out stadiums every session with the bellowing British noise and of course a star studded Closing featuring none other than Coldplay, Rihanna and Jay Z. 

 
 (Opening Ceremony showing off my Aussie fingernails!)

 
(ABC TV interview)

 
(Rihanna performing at the Closing Ceremony)

Competing in the athletics stadium was an experience like no other, the noise was mind blowing and atmosphere electric. I was proud to finish 5th in the Long Jump (just 10cm from a medal) and 6th in the Javelin, I did the best I could do under the difficult and frustrating circumstances.Despite my knee I loved every moment of being on the track in front of the crowds and noise.


  (On the warm up track with the Olympic Stadium in the background)

The stand out for me was during the Long Jump when a UK athlete came out for their medal ceremony. As is customary all events cease and to stand on the track and see 80,000 people stand up and belt out the British national anthem was mind blowing. I was in awe turning around and watching and soaking it all up!

The Londoner's certainly put on a show and it has been amazing to see the world really take in Paralympic sport. The Australian Paralympic team had a sensational games and finished 5th on the medal tally- even finishing higher placed than the USA, just an incredible result which I have certainly madfe known to my US friends :)

Whilst the games were great I was so excited to get home and have my knee fixed. We arrived home on a Thursday and I was straight into the gym on Monday to get some strength back before surgery. From the long time on crutches I had lost significant muscle bulk and only had a couple of days to work before I was to have my knee operated on. The operation was a great success and after 2 months of avoiding using my knee it was nice to have it like brand new and on the mend. 

My rehab is progressing well and everything is on track for my return to snow in Deember with the Australian team! After a frustrating few months it's safe to say Im very excited about the next few months and my return to the ski racing world! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment